Work Permit

A work permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to work legally in Canada. There are several types of work permits, including open work permits, employer-specific work permits, and international mobility program work permit. The type of work permit you need will depend on your specific situation.

In most cases, you will need a job offer from a Canadian employer before you can apply for a work permit. The employer may need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to show that there are no Canadians or permanent residents available to do the job.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that assesses the impact of hiring a foreign worker on the Canadian labour market. An LMIA is required for most employer-specific work permit applications in Canada.

To obtain an LMIA, Canadian employers must demonstrate that there is a genuine need for a foreign worker to fill a job vacancy and that no Canadian citizens or permanent residents are available to do the job. Employers must also demonstrate that they will provide fair and competitive wages and working conditions to the foreign worker.

To apply for an LMIA, the Canadian employer must submit an application to ESDC, along with supporting documents such as proof of recruitment efforts and a detailed job offer letter. ESDC will assess the application and issue an LMIA if it determines that the hiring of a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral impact on the Canadian labour market.

Once an LMIA is issued, the foreign worker can use it to apply for an employer-specific work permit. The LMIA is valid for a specific period of time and is job-specific, meaning that it only applies to the specific job and employer listed on the LMIA.