Study permit

Canada is a popular destination for international students due to its world-class education system, multicultural society, and welcoming environment. If you are interested in studying in Canada, here are some steps to help you get started:

1.    Research and choose a school or program that meets your needs and interests. Canada has a wide range of post-secondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and technical institutes, as well as a variety of programs and fields of study.
2.     Meet the admission requirements for the school or program you have chosen. This may include submitting academic transcripts, language proficiency test scores, letters of recommendation, and other documentation.
3.     Apply and get accepted to a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. The DLI will provide you with a letter of acceptance, which you will need to include in your visa application.
4.   Apply for a study permit. This will require you to provide proof of acceptance from the school, proof of financial support, and other documentation including medical exams and police clearance certificates.
5.   Once your study permit is approved, prepare for your arrival in Canada including arranging housing, obtaining health insurance, and attending orientation sessions.

When you arrive in Canada, you will need to comply with the conditions of your study permit, such as enrolling in a full-time program and maintaining good academic standing.

It’s recommended that you plan ahead and apply for admission and a study permit well in advance, as the process can take several months.

Designated Learning Institute (DLI)

Designated Learning Institutions are post-secondary institution in Canada that has been approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.

International students who wish to study in Canada must have a valid study permit and must be enrolled in a DLI. Only DLIs are authorized to host international students, and only students enrolled in DLIs are eligible to work part-time on or off-campus, or apply for a post-graduation work permit after completing their studies.

DLIs include universities, colleges, technical and vocational schools, and other post-secondary institutions across Canada. Each province and territory maintains its own list of approved DLIs, which can be found on the government website.

Working while being a full-time student

During regular school terms/semesters you can work up to 20 hours per week. You can work more than 1 job to make up these hours as long as you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit.

During scheduled breaks in the school year you can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.

You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.