Work Permit

A work permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to work legally in Canada. There are several types of work permits, including open work permits, employer-specific work permits, and international mobility program work permit. The type of work permit you need will depend on your specific situation.

Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP)

The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is a type of work permit that allows certain temporary residents of Canada to continue working in Canada while they await the processing of their permanent residency application.

To be eligible for a BOWP, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
1.      Have a valid work permit that is due to expire within four months.
2.     Have submitted a complete application for permanent residency under one of the following programs:

•       Permanent residence using Express Entry
•       Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
•       Quebec skilled workers
•       Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
•       Caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class
•       Agri-Food Pilot

3.     Have received an acknowledgment of receipt letter (Express Entry, PNP, Quebec Skilled) or an Approval in Principle (Agri Pilot, Caregiver)

4.     Reside in Canada at the time of application.

If the applicant meets the eligibility criteria for a BOWP, they can apply for the permit online. The BOWP is usually issued within a few weeks of the application being submitted and is valid until a decision is made on the applicant’s permanent residency application.