Work Permit

A work permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to work legally in Canada. There are several types of work permits, including open work permits, employer-specific work permits, and international mobility program work permit. The type of work permit you need will depend on your specific situation.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

PGWP is a program offered by the Government of Canada that allows eligible international students who have graduated from a designated Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable work experience in Canada after completing their studies.
To be eligible for a PGWP, you must:
1.       Have completed a full-time program of study at a designated Canadian post-secondary institution that is at least eight months long.
2.    Have graduated from a public or private post-secondary institution, or from a degree program at a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
3.    Apply for the PGWP within 180 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution that you have met the requirements for completing your program of study.
4.       Have a valid study permit when you apply for the PGWP.

The length of the PGWP depends on the length of your study program. If your program was less than 8 months, you are not eligible for a PGWP. If your program was between 8 and 24 months long, your PGWP will be valid for a period equal to the length of your study program. If your program was 24 months or longer, your PGWP may be valid for up to 3 years.

Having a PGWP allows you to work for any Canadian employer, in any industry, and in any location in Canada. It’s a great way to gain Canadian work experience, which can help you qualify for permanent residence in Canada through various immigration programs.